Saturday, February 17, 2007

Waitress for life

Last night I hated my job....I frequently hate my job. I am a waitress/bartender/"manager" at a little BBQ place in Brockport. I would rather shovel the snow out of all my neighbors driveways then go to work this morning.

Me: "Hi, My name is Molly, I'll be taking care of you this evening. Can I get you all something to drink?"
Lady: "No thank you. I'll just have a water."
OK....are you going to get that your self? Maybe drink out of the bathroom sink?
(that same woman tipped 8%.......don't ever tip 8% ok?)

One of our managers: "Its not the managers' job to roll silverware."
Ummm.....I am also a manager. Yes it is your job as we have none rolled and its a busy Friday night. It is also your job to seat tables, bus tables, make drinks, scoop ice, pour waters, sweep the floors, clean the bathrooms, make salads, run the fryers, do dishes, stock beer, and do anything else that may be necessary for the proper management and function of the restaurant. Hence the title manager.

It is also important to note that since I don't purchase the food or prepare the food it is not my fault that the portion size may be smaller than you "remembered", "expected", "wanted", or "could eat the entire thing in two bites"...... please remember that waitstaff makes 4-something an hour and we're propbably starving, tired, and our feet hurt. Most of us are also probably going to school full time, paying all of our bills on 4-something an hour....and really would appreciate it if you would tip us according to our service not the food that WE DON'T MAKE.

Thank you and now I am off to bartend at my favorite establishment in brockport.

No comments: