Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Today...

A colleague of mine who teaches English Academic Intervention Services, (a class created for kids struggling in English) came to me today with inspiring and uplifting news. A student I have who professes to have not read a book since the 6th grade (I teach 10th) just finished his literature circle book for my class. Apparently he loved it and couldn't put it down!!! Success!

Of course, its a Young Adult modern piece of fluff fiction about a boy who steals computers and solves a murder, but none of that matters when you consider the scope of his aversion to reading. HE FINISHED A NOVEL! That is fabulous. I am so freaking happy. :-)

I hope to instill a love of reading in my students. I know this is a big goal. So, when I slice it down to a more manageable size, my hope is that we can negate the extreme hatred that some kids have for reading. I think this would be a good indication that this is working.

No comments: